Sunday 28 February 2016

Battle of the bugs!


Morning campers! Boy I'm a sucker for a positive blog post me! Nice view but it's gonna turn to shit later. Ouch just dropped the positivity pen!

Well I got through the night and even managed to sleep - with my ear plugs in. Which was nice. Pumping through the antibiotics at 2g a shot in the arm, every six hours, love it. The Drs came round this morning and could see an improvement from yesterday and have a name for the infection, it's cellulitis, I wiki-d it up and it's a skin infection that spreads quickly and is caused by streptococcus or staphylococcus bacteria. Symptoms are fever, tiredness, soreness in the area, redness and swelling. Bingo! I seem to be responding to the drugs although it could take between 7 and 10 days to fully recover. So I reckon I'll be here a few days yet until flappy settles down a bit. 

One of the ED Drs said a cute thing yesterday. She was an American lady really onto it, I liked her a lot. She introduced herself and then said, 'I've been looking at your list of medical issues that you've had to deal with and I'm surprised there isn't a whole hospital wing named after you'. Hahahahaha! You could've built a ward with the amount of resources I've pulled in over the years! Nah I'm not so high maintenance honestly. That's part of my problem, the head problem, you know? Not wanting my medical list to define me cos I am so like everyone else, right? Well, I'm getting better at embracing my story and writing this blog is part of that emancipation. But it is hard to let go of values you've been living your life by for over 40 years. I have to retrain my brain. And I think I'm gonna need some help with that. So I'm thinking of getting some counseling. When you're lying in a hospital bed you can come up with these things and then you get better, go home and think you don't need help. So you don't go to the GP to follow up on these things. Until the next bump in the road happens and you find its just a little bit harder to face another fight. It's just another knock back and we'll get through it cos we're great at survival mode. But it's taking its toll. Chipping away in the background. Two steps forward one step back. 

I can't say I'm surprised that I'm gonna need counseling. How the hell have I managed to get this far without it? and you know what, at least two of my friends have gently suggested it. So I'm going to do it. 

4 comments:

  1. Good on ya, Reenie. Counselling can be incredibly useful. It strikes me that you are a Giver, but now it's your turn to Receive; that can make you feel very vulnerable, but it's worth the risk, as I have found. Go gently, go well, get well. πŸŒΉπŸ’πŸŒΊπŸŒ·

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Francie. the last thing I need is to beat myself up about how I've approached the last 40 odd years in terms of coping mechanisms! Acknowledge and move on is what I want. Good to hear that you found it worthwhile.

      Delete
  2. Two leaps forward only one small step back!
    The Reenie Survivin sun rise is rising! Look at the two pictures it is looking brighter from the room. Wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ste. Nice to have a view that changes.

      Delete