Friday 19 February 2016

Another little milestone


I am 5 weeks post surgery. I am alive and well. 

Still can't believe it. We actually went ahead and did it. And it worked!?! WTF? Me and J have those moments every so often, sometimes at the same time, when time stops and you remember what you've been through and this warm, syrupy, snugly feeling disperses over your entire body until you are smothered in goo-ey loveliness. It's purest glee. I had one of those moments on Wednesday at the dressing clinic at the hospital. I've been going every Wednesday since I was discharged. As you know the dressings are getting smaller and smaller. Flappy has a postage stamp sticker on the front now which I am told will fall off at some point and then he'll be free (flappy is a 'he'? Ok I'll go with that). And so will I! Cos I don't need to go back on a Wednesday anymore! Yay! It may not seem like a big deal but it's another step towards independence and normality for me, if that's what I'm after?! When the Dr told me that I didn't need to come back until the follow up appointment in a month I got the goo-ey feeling. I said to the nurse, "this is just so good isn't it? I'm so pleased we did it". Poor woman must've thought I was on drugs. 

So it's all good on the physical front in terms of healing. How's my head doing? Well I'd say it's still bloody processing. I am dreaming like a crazee, every night. No nightmares though. I'm napping in the afternoon, it's a necessity, even if it's just a half hour I need it. I guess it's stamina that I need to build and I think light exercise is gonna help with that. So this morning I tried a few stretches to see if there were any remnants of Pilates in those muscles. It felt good to stretch my back out a bit and my calves and arms. My legs feel as heavy as tree trunks so I'm missing those 3 abs that formed my core. Tut! So I'll make an appointment with my Pilates physio in a week or so and see where we can pick up from. Flappy has been having a stretch too, he's stiff as a board. He's getting lots of moisturizing to soften him up too. 

Did a bit of retail therapy with my lil-niece during the week which is always good for the morale. And there's also quite a bit of exercise there walking round the mall, trying stuff on! Yep I'll take that. Then today, cos it's Friday, I achieved another little milestone, the first solo drive in the car since the op. Oh yeah! It was the weirdest feeling going out on my own in the car. It was like my body knew how to drive but my head was somewhere else. Like an out of body experience. Happy to say there were no "visitors" in the car today! Hehehe! But my head was fluffy! Like I was overcompensating. I only went down the road to Silverstream to post a parcel. It's like a 3 minute drive. But it was great to get there, park up, walk around, have a chat with the post lady, buy a pie, get back home, all without killing anybody. So I'd say that was another cherry popped - driving solo short distances, tick! 


















7 comments:

  1. Hey Reenie this all sounds excellent. Great progress all round!
    I'm only just coming right after a bout of Shingles which very quickly followed my very nasty chest infection, which lasted over a month, so I know a little of what you mean.
    But I also like your comments about that gooey feeling, as I've experienced that too. Your whole attitude is just so inspiring! 😊😊🌹🌹💕💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Francie shingles is not good. It can be exhausting and can bring you down. Rest up and take care of yourself. You've had a bad run and you're immune system is shot. Xx

      Delete
  2. Amazing ! So proud of your achievements big and small xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you were doing doughnuts in the parking lot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 15+ years in NZ and you had to google "doing doughnuts".... Now come on Reenie! ��

    ReplyDelete