Thursday 4 February 2016

3 weeks post surgery


Three weeks ago today..... I had my Iron Man suit on in ICU and today I got this in the post. An Iron Man key ring from J's lovely sister D. I absolutely love it! It's bang on. You know I did one of those FB quizs while I was in hospital, which Superhero are you, and guess what? Yeah, I'm Iron Man. F****in A, maaaaannnnnn! 

So how am I doing? Pretty good for 3 weeks post major surgery. Let's recap on the 3 sites. Flappy is looking less raspberry ripple and more like rhubarb and custard. The thick white dressing is off the site and the edges are sealed with white hyper flex tape. The small area of infection on the lower edge is nicely covered, drying out and not sore. Flappy's texture is dry and there's no feeling in the area. It is in need of some serious spa treatments. I have started moisturizing with vitamin A cream which feels like Vaseline, feels very strange. The second site is the Donor site on my right thigh. The white dressing is off and it's looking like I've fallen off the table at the Sprig n Fern after a couple of Pinot Gris' dancing to Son of a Preacher Man. Bit of a graze going on there. This is also getting the Vit A treatment too. The third site is the Tummy Tuck which reduced my 6 pack to a 3 pack. This is troubling me it has to be said. I miss those abs. The scar runs about 20cm down to my bikini line. Pretty significant tuck. Sore ribs, sore to laugh, funny to touch. There are dissolving stitches in this site just like flappy and the scar is covered in a hyper flex strip. Not been on pain relief except the odd panadol and the oral morphine stopped after one day out of hospital. I've been lucky in that way. Must have a feckin high pain threshold. The only way I knew I needed pain relief in hospital was when I started staring at the wall. I could sense I was feeling uncomfortable and getting a bit edgy. But that would be the worst of it, pain wise. I'm probably an exception so if any of you are considering similar surgery, the disclaimer stands! 

I know I'm feeling better today cos I started a new craft project. Another present, from my dear friend Zed, a bag of felt with a note "do your worst". She also put a kids craft kit in the bag - for 4 year olds - a DIY felt elephant! 
What's the betting that the stats for the number of page views drops off in anticipation of the next blog post - "Crochet your own elephant for your room". 

3 comments:

  1. The descriptions of these 3 sites is excellent, which help to visualise what you're going through. I love the way you write! Also, Iron Woman, the key ring is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iron Woman of course I am! Thanks for your words of encouragement. Glad you're not squeamish.

    ReplyDelete